Monday, May 13, 2013

Author of the Day: Melissa Oien

Happy Monday ! Check out Author of the Day- Melissa Oien : 

Meet Melissa : 

I’m a self-proclaimed book nerd, loud and proud! I firmly believe that reading and writing go hand in hand.
 When I picked up my first book of poetry (It was a children’s book of poems in my elementary school library) I decided that I wanted to write. I would jot down many a poem in my notebook and one day my grandmother looked at me and said “You should be a writer.” She was the first to encourage me and I haven’t stopped writing since.


I love writing whatever comes into my head, whether it’s paranormal, sci-fi, romance, poetry or songs. I’m a daydreamer with a vivid imagination and I love listening to music. Rock, Folk, Pop, Rap, Indie and Classical music all serve as great inspiration. I’m in a zone when I write, no sense of the “real” world or anything else around me. It’s like my hand is overcome by the person who needs to tell their story and they control the pen. It’s an amazing feeling and I don’t know how to live without. I simply can’t. My favorite novel of all time is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I even wrote my wedding vows based around when Cathy is telling Nelly that Heathcliff is “More my-self than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” A romantic at heart, I am influenced by the amazing LaVyrle Spencer and Kathleen Woodiwiss as well as the New Adult authors of today including Colleen Hoover, Abbi Glines, E.L. James, and J.A. Redmerski. My first taste of paranormal was R.L. Stine’s Goosebumps books and the Bunnicula series by James Howe. I grew to love C.C. Hunter, Karice Bolton, and Stephen King. Authors are pretty much my version of rock stars and I hope to one day have a gigantic library filled to the brim. Obviously my favorite Disney movie is Beauty and the Beast.


Feel free to stop by and say “Hi” !



Oien's first completed book is a New Adult Contemporary Romance. Something to Believe In is the first in the Silver Series. It’s about two people that discover strength in weakness and love in the midst of loss. She  plans to release it in June 2013



 What is it about you ask? ...

Learning how to trust in someone is difficult, giving them your already broken heart is nearly impossible.

Mackaela Stone looks the part of every normal twenty one year old girl, but she hides a lot of secrets. Running from the things that have haunted her for most of her life, a snowball effect of being forced into adulthood, nearly losing her life at the hands of her mother, and being forced to drop out of high school, she is left dejected and isolated.

She lives in a world run by her best friend Mickey Silver. Where drugs are a thriving business, violence is second nature, and watching your back comes with the territory, it has been ingrained in Mackaela to shut down all sense of feeling or ambition and just exist.

Simon Silver is your typical good looking guy with dark hair, emerald eyes and a few tattoos etched across his perfect body. He reaches out to his brother Mickey to get back on his feet after being left homeless and hopeless after a devastating loss and misunderstanding. When he meets the girl who is Mick's best friend he is automatically fascinated, little does he know that she is tougher than meets the eye and not anything like the other girls from his past. He knows there is more to her than the strong exterior she hides behind. Assuming he is a spoiled rotten “pretty boy”, Mackaela refuses to open up to Simon, let alone give him her name.

After yet another tragedy is thrust her way, Mackaela finds an unexpected comfort in Simon who is all too familiar with the pain she faces. Forming an intense bond and undeniable attraction, they discover how much they need each other. When it is difficult to find light in the darkness and you have to fight like hell to chase the ghosts that haunt you, sometimes facing your fears can be the best thing for you. You grow strong, you find yourself, and maybe, just maybe, you’ll find something to believe in.


....And just to tease your brain a little more.... 

Mackaela spoke in a weak whisper. “When you leave…I mean once you’re gone, will we still be…you know friends?” She drew her bottom lip in between her teeth. I furrowed my brow and sighed. Mackaela thought that I would just leave her. She was concerned that I would just take off and never talk to her again. There was no way I would ever let her get away from me and she needed to know that. Not being able to help myself, I raised my hand to her damp hair and ran my fingers through the ends, meeting her eyes.
“Sweetheart I’m not leaving you.” I promised. I cupped her face in both of my hands and pressed my forehead against hers. She let out a small sigh and closed her eyes. “I don’t think you understand just how damn much I care about you Mackaela.” I withdrew and placed a kiss on her cheek and then the corner of her mouth. “I wouldn’t leave you, I couldn’t.” I touched my lips to hers softly.
 “Simon I wouldn’t ask you to stay. I don’t want to hold you back. You have your dreams and I won’t stand in the way of that. I don’t know what I want yet. You can’t wait around for me to figure my shit out.” I immediately began shaking my head and pulled further away from her. Gripping her chin gently and forcing her gaze to meet mine I said, “You’re my dream Mackaela. I can’t have anything or be anything if I don’t have you. You are a part of me. We have a bond that can’t be broken. You know this.” I watched as her eyes filled with tears and a small sob broke free.
So quickly, before she could shed another tear, I tilted my head and smashed my lips against hers. Her mouth parted as she let out a gasp at my suddenness. I took the opportunity to deepen the kiss, conveying everything that I was feeling toward her. My hands lowered to her waist and I drew her closer to my body. I could feel her chest against mine, her hips against me, pressing closer still. I groaned and clutched at her. I let my lips wander across her now flush cheeks to her jaw and up to the hollow below her ear that I knew drove her crazy. “You have my heart.” I whispered. “I can’t leave that behind…ever.”
I cradled her head in my hands and forced her to look into my eyes. “Do you understand?” I asked as I tried to catch my breath. Mackaela nodded and a small smile formed on those incredible lips.
Copyright M.K. Oien @2013



No comments:

Post a Comment